It uses a unique diatom powder to filter particles as small as one half - one diatom in size. Even some parasites and bacteria are large enough to be trapped and pulled out of the water by a diatom filter. It is a wonderful "green water" cleaner, as free-floating algae is too large to avoid the filter trap.,
Diatom Filters remove many free-swimming infective stages of various parasites from the tank water before they can attach to their hosts, and when the attached adult parasites on the fish die, the fish are eventually left parasite-free. Because many free-floating bacterias are also removed from the tank, wounded fish often heal more quickly (absent the bacterias that cause infections)
After parasites and toxic algae problems have been eliminated, it is a good idea to schedule diatom filtration on a weekly basis or even continuously for a problem tank.
Used properly, your Diatom filter will eliminate the need to "tear down" your aquarium to clean.
Model D-1 diatom filter is for most routine cleaning jobs. Filters over 250 GPH. Clears a 10 gallon tank micron free in 12 minutes.
The Diatom XL filter, which filters at up to 300 GPH (and measures 18" high by 7.5" wide at the base), is the highest speed
aquarium diatom filter on the market (designed for continuous operation).
Vortex Canister Diatom Filter Feature:
- Electrical on-off switch and self priming motor
- 100% filtration of water that passes through the pump - no hidden "by-pass holes"
- Quiet operation. Motor shaft is connected directly to the impeller (no slipping magnetic drive or squealing belts)
- Thermally protected motor. Self-contained and designed for continuous operation
- Adjustable and directional flow
- Backwashes clean without taking the filter apart. Protected against gravel jam of the impeller
- Easily recharged with filter media - Diatom filter powder, superchar or water softener may be added while the filter is running.
- Positively does not change pH
- New unbreakable chamber base stand and jar!